Do you know gynecomastia liposuction is one of the four most requested types of liposuction for men (after liposuction for love handles, abdomen, and submaxillary fat). If you’re dealing with this embarrassing condition, you might be wondering if liposuction for man boobs is a realistic option. Liposuction surgery is one of the commonest cosmetic procedures performed in the USA. In fact, surgery is one of the best options for man boobs that are caused by a medical condition or left over after weight loss.
Male breast surgery is actually a pretty common solution for dealing with pseudogynecomastia, the scientific term for man boobs caused by being overweight. Some man boobs actually are a result of a medical condition called gynecomastia that isn’t treatable with liposuction.
Liposuction isn’t appropriate for true gynecomastia because that tissue isn’t actually made of fat. It’s made of glands that are dense and can be removed surgically, but not through liposuction. So the first thing you need to do is find out what’s causing your man boobs.
If you’ve gained excess weight, you may have pseudogynecomastia that can be treated by liposuction. However, you’ll be advised to lose the excess weight before having the surgery. Weight loss can sometimes get rid of man boobs on its own.
Liposuction for male chest is sometimes performed under local anesthesia, which is safer than general anesthesia. However, your surgeon may prefer to use general anesthesia depending on the severity of your problem area.
Liposuction is a very effective treatment, but it is expensive and generally isn’t covered by insurance. You’ll need to be prepared to pay for the procedure out of pocket. Often an initial consultation is free or inexpensive and then you can find out the total cost and details.
You’d be well advised to consult more than one surgeon and make sure you get more than one opinion. Then you can go with a surgeon who has the bedside manner you like and seems the most knowledgeable about your condition.
If you are wondering what your surgeon would do on your coming appointment with him, below are the processes.
Your surgeon needs to assess your man boobs conditions before he can accept you for liposuction procedure. Below is a list of the things he needs to find out from your problem.
• Amount of skin excess and skin quality
• Adipose component
• Glandular component
• Size of nipple areolar complex
Once he has decided you are qualified for liposuction procedure, you and he have to prepare for the operation such as below.
1. You will be sent to a cardiologist for a complete heart and vascular checkup,
2. You also need to undergo a complete blood test which includes especially liver function tests, fasting blood sugar fasting, hepatitis B and C profile, and HIV studies
3. You are also advised to use an antiseptic soap bath 3 days prior to surgery, especially in the areas to be liposuctioned.
4. All medications especially aspirin, β-blockers, vitamin E, and herbal drugs are discontinued 10 days prior to surgery
The placement of the incisions is different in (A) pseudogynecomastia
and (B) gynecomastia
Post liposuction care
1. All the garments and dressings are removed on the second day postoperatively and the areas are examined and cleaned.
2. Only pressure garments are advised for the next week
3. Postoperative tenderness usually settles quickly
4. Low-dose steroids are prescribed, if necessary, which decrease the inflammation.
5. Urea (10%) and 1% hydrocortisone cream, to be used twice daily, is applied over areas of liposuction to improve the inflammation and decrease the hardness.
6. An anti-inflammatory ultrasound procedure is started after 1 week and is repeated once a week for 4–6 weeks.
Not surgeries are done without any possibilities of causing complications. However, the chances of complications is slim if the liposuction was handled by experience surgeon. Below are some of the complications.
1. Hematoma can take place if the tumescent technique is not utilized or ultrasonic liposuction is used. Internal ultrasound is dangerous and can damage the vasculature of the breast via penetrating rays.
2. Postoperative edema usually settles down quickly. Irregularities are generally not seen unless the operation is performed by an inexperienced surgeon
3. Damage to the perforating branches of the internal thoracic artery, intercostal arteries, lateral thoracic and thoracoacromial branches of the axillary artery, and corresponding veins can take place over the breast, leading to hematoma formation
4. Nerve Injuries due to damage to the roots, trunks, and divisions or cords of the brachial plexus can take place if an axillary approach is used
5. There also exists the possibility of some degree of nipple
hyperesthesia or, on the other hand, loss of nipple
sensation. Both are transient.
Another option for getting rid of man boobs is male breast reduction surgery. This is more than just removing the fat from under the skin. This procedure actually removes skin as well as fat to firm up the chest.
Both liposuction and male breast reduction require recovery time. During this time you’ll need to wear chest compression garments. Initially you’ll have swelling in your chest, but over a period of weeks that will go down and you’ll be left with a manlier chest.
If you’re not sure whether or not liposuction for man boobs is a good option for you, you should consult a surgeon about male breast reduction through liposuction or other surgery. That’s the best way to make sure you get accurate information for your personal case. Remember on the main objective of liposuction is improvement in the body contouring as well as in the self-esteem constitutes the aim of this operation.